- Brand: Tascam
- Product Code: DR-40
Call For Pricing
|Handheld 4-Track Recorder|
The adjustable mics, four-track recording and extended battery life of the TASCAM DR-40 give you the flexibility you need to record tracks anywhere.
The DR-40 captures up to four tracks from built-in, high-quality condenser microphones, XLR mic or line inputs. The internal mics are adjustable from XY to AB position, helping you to tailor your recording to the sound of the room. A pair of great-sounding TASCAM microphone preamps welcome condenser microphones with phantom power, recording at up to 96kHz/24-bit resolution. It accommodates balanced XLR or 1/4" line inputs using locking Neutrik Combo jacks. The DR-40 accepts SD or SDHC cards up to 32GB, and a 2GB card is included.
Once recorded, play back your takes with EQ and the optional Level Align feature to avoid volume jumps. A stereo reverb effect is also built-in, as well as a speaker and chromatic tuner. Transfer recordings to computer using the USB 2.0 jack. Other features include overdub mode, variable speed playback, limiting and low cut filter, and much more – all with TASCAM’s simple-to-use interface. No other recorder makes home or live recording as simple as the TASCAM DR-40.
"DR-05", "DR-07MK2" and our brand new "DR-40" Linear PCM Recorders are part of TASCAM's handheld recorders. Select a model based on your functional needs.
• Handheld 4-track Portable Recorder
• Built-in condenser microphones, adjustable to XY or AB position
• XLR / 1/4” mic/line input with phantom power
• Record the built-in microphones with the XLR mic or line input for a four-track recording
• Dual recording mode captures a safety track at a lower level to avoid distortion
• Overdub mode allows recording along with a previous take
• Peak reduction automatically sets the ideal recording level
• 15-hour battery life from three AA batteries
• Up to 96kHz/24-bit WAV/BWF or MP3 recording resolution
• 2-second pre-recording buffer
• Variable speed playback from 50-150% speed without changing the pitch
• Adjustable limiter and low cut filter (40 / 80 / 120 Hz)
• Built-in speaker and chromatic tuner
• 1/8” headphone/line output
• Playback EQ and level align
• Stereo Reverb effect
• Tripod mounting hole
• SD/SDHC card slot supports up to 32GB media (2GB card included)
• Locking Neutrik Combi jacks
• USB 2.0 jack and cable for transferring recordings to computer
• Powered by three AA batteries, AC adapter (optional PS-P515U), external battery pack (optional BP-6AA), or USB bus power
The DR-40's four-track recording mode gives you several options to record, indicated by LEDs on the front of the unit. The 4-channel recording modes include:
DUAL - Record a stereo signal with a copy of that stereo signal at a lower level. This gives you a safety track you can use in case the main recording is distorted. (See next section for more info)
4CH - Record the built-in microphones along with a pair of external mics, like close-up and ambient microphones. Or record the built-in mics along with a balanced line input, such as the feed from a mixer along with the sound in the room.
OVERDUB - Play along with a recording youâve already made to build up a full production or song demo
You can record up to four channels of 96kHz/24-bit audio. Mono and stereo recording is also available. Recording formats include MP3 (from 32 to 320kbps), WAV and Broadcast WAV formats.
Dual Recording Mode
Dual Recording records a second copy of your performance up to -12dB lower as a safety track. This mean if your recording gets accidentally distorted, you'll have a backup copy that isn't distorted.
Dual Recording works in addition to the peak limiting and low cut filter features which also prevent distortion.
The Dual Recording mode is perfect for recording your band live. Just set the unit to record and hit the stage without worrying about the recording getting blown out.
Adjustable Condenser Microphones
Attached to the DR-40 are a pair of cardioid condenser microphones. The stereo microphones can be arranged in an XY recording pattern for tight stereo imaging or in an AB pattern for a more ambient recording.
When flipping the microphone orientation, the left and right channels automatically flip for correct stereo placement.
Useful Playback Features
Like most TASCAM handheld recorders, the DR-40 includes playback modes to loop a section of playback or slow it down without changing the pitch, perfect for learning new music. A built-in speaker is included for checking recording without headphones. The Level Align feature smooths out level jumps during playback to help you monitor your raw, unmastered recordings.
A stereo reverb effect is available during playback or recording. Another handy additions include a chromatic tuner and tripod mount.
Optional DR-40 Accessories
Though the DR-40 has everything you need to start recording – including AA batteries and a 2GB SD Card – a host of available accessories make recording in the field even easier.
RC-20 Wired Remote Control
PS-P515U Power Supply
RC-3F Footswitch Remote
BP-6AA AA Battery Pack-The BP-6AA battery pack increases the already-impressive 17.5-hour battery life to over 50 hours of recording. It mounts to the bottom of the DR-40 using a tripod screw and attaches to the DR-40 through the USB cable.